11 February 2013

Labyrinth Curiosity

Cover of Dungeons & Dragons Computer Labyrinth Game.

I never owned nor played the Dungeons & Dragons Computer Labyrinth Game by Mattel, and I'm not sure how long it would have kept my interest (especially after discovering role-playing), but I often gazed at its photograph in the Sears Wishbook, watched the television commercial, and saw the game itself in stores. A part of me lusted for it, but another part of me was well aware that very often the advertising and the packaging promised something very different from the reality. The colorful picture of the dragon on the box was eye-catching, and although it intrigued me, experience told me that there was little chance that the game was as fascinating as its artwork (which is now the fourth work of art to be displayed on this Web log). It's just a hunch. That dragon sets a formidably high standard.

[See also this retrospective (where I happened to find the photograph).]

No comments:

Post a Comment