26 August 2024

RPGaDay 2024: Day 26

26. Superb screen

I own a four-panel, landscape-oriented, customizable GM screen with clear plastic pockets on both sides of every panel so I can slide in reference sheets or art appropriate to whatever game I am running. It's called The World's Greatest Screen from Hammerdog Games. It's nearly perfect. The World's Greatest Screen: The Half Screen (soon to be launched on Kickstarter) might be even better (and I certainly plan to get one).

Another good option is the three-panel, landcape-oriented, Savage Worlds Customizable GM screen from Pinnacle Entertainment Group.

When I was a teenager, I used the typical cardboard, three-panel, portrait-oriented screens that were produced for various role-playing games by their manufacturers. They were already too tall for my purposes, but the situation was worsened by the fact that I ran my games from a desk that was taller than the card table at which my players were seated. To overcome this lack of visibility (a problem for me as I communicate nearly as much with gestures and facial expressions as I do with speech when I GM), I tended to sit on the back of my office chair. And tilt it backwards (a habit, not a strategy). I strongly discourage both activities. Fortunately, landscape-oriented screens (and playing at the same actual table) eliminate the need for such stunts.

Buy a better screen or make one yourself. It's worth it.

[For more information on #RPGaDay (or #RPGaDay2024 specifically), read this.]

No comments:

Post a Comment