15 August 2023

RPGaDay 2023: Day 15

15. Favourite Con MODULE/ONE-SHOT

  • The time: The summer of 1980-something.
  • The place: Fal Con, a gaming convention at Bowling Green State University in Bowling Green, Ohio, U.S.A.
  • The situation: My friends and I signed up for a science fiction role-playing game adventure.

I no longer recall the name of the GM nor the title of the adventure, but I remember the following:

  • When pregenerated characters were offered, I went last, and I was left with the party's highest ranking officer, Captain Donald Drake.
  • Amongst my character's possessions was a "spring rifle," which the GM explained to me was inspired by a weapon from Gordon R. Dickson's series of Dorsai novels. (I subsequently read and very much enjoyed those novels.)
  • The planets were named after the Greek equivalents of our own, e.g., Mercury was Hermes, Venus was Aphrodite, Mars was Ares, etc.
  • Some of the miniatures the GM used were Star Wars toys, including a walking tank that Drake blew up Skywalker-style.
  • The GM used a screen from the The Adventures of Indiana Jones role-playing game.
  • The GM was a member of the Northern Ohio Wargaming Society and the founder of another club. He handed out pamphlets, the result of which was that we later attended NOWS Con.

I say it was my favorite convention module/one-shot because it was the only occasion my friends and I all played together as players without one of us having to be the GM. It was great fun, and I wish it had been one of many such experiences.

[For more information on #RPGaDay (or #RPGaDay2023 specifically), read this.]

No comments:

Post a Comment