08 August 2023

RPGaDay 2023: Day 08

8. Favourite CHARACTER

As I mentioned before, I do not think in hierarchical terms. Instead of designating a character as my favorite, I'll choose the first of my characters that springs to mind.

The character is Victor M. Valiant, director of silent films and founder of Valiant Pictures. I created him for a nighttime Call of Cthulhu adventure my friends and I played at a campground in Mukwonago, Wisconsin c. 1990. We were attending Gen Con (then located in Milwaukee), and camping was more affordable than any hotel. David was the Keeper (having read the adventure on our way from Ohio to Wisconsin). Tim's character was a jazz musician from New Orleans, and Andrew's character was a doctor. It was tremendously fun, and I regret we never had the chance to continue their adventures.

Here are the character's details:

Name: Victor M. Valiant
Age: 50
Occupation: Film Director [and founder of Valiant Pictures]
Nationality: American
Residence: U.S.A.
STR 12
CON 11
SIZ 12
DEX 10
APP 15
SAN 96
INT 17 (Idea 85)
POW 10 (Luck 50)
EDU 19 (Knowledge 95)
Magic Points: 10
Hit Points: 12
Cash on Hand: $149.70
Noteworthy Skills
Bargain 40
Chemistry 84
Cthulhu Mythos 3
Credit Rating 20
Dodge 50
Drive Automobile 30
Electrical Repair 30
Hide 25
History 34
Library Use 31
Oratory 11
Photography 94
Read/Write French 61
Ride 16
Sneak 37
Speak French 15
Spot Hidden 41
Swim 40
Track 30
Pump Shotgun 60

An Incomplete Filmography
  • Nefarious Dreams
  • Juju Dreams
  • The Scoundrel of Baghdad
  • The Bureaucrat
  • Steamer to Shanghai
  • The Black Widow
  • Fig. 13
  • The Engines of Peace

The names of the films were jotted on the back of my player character sheet as Andrew and I ad-libbed about some of my character's past filmmaking exploits. The conversational improvisation between player characters was one of my favorite aspects of that session.

And here is the original character sheet:

Character sheet of Victor M. Valiant for Call of Cthulhu.

[Click image to enlarge.]

[For more information on #RPGaDay (or #RPGaDay2023 specifically), read this.]

No comments:

Post a Comment