04 June 2022

A Moment of Phrustration

In our hobby (fantasy role-playing), we've seen high fantasy, low fantasy, grimdark fantasy, and science fantasy. And in those sub-genres we've seen characters depicted in various garb: traditional pseudohistorical, pulp barbarian, dungeonpunk, Renaissance Fair cosplay, anime/manga cosplay, etc. But how often do we see medieval fantasy role-playing characters depicted in actual historically accurate clothing? If I'm supposed to immerse myself in a fantastic analogue of the Middle Ages, I want to see fashion no later than that of the 14th Century. Why? Because I find the alternatives boring. That's all. A modicum of historical accuracy would represent an exciting and radical departure from mainstream popular culture fantasy. I crave it, because I am bored of the banality of most mainstream commercial art. It doesn't inspire me, it doesn't transport me, and it doesn't make me want to buy or play whatever game it illustrates. I am tired of uninteresting, unimaginative fantasy art. I'd rather have a product with no art than uninspiring art.

This concludes my rant.

Game on.

4 comments:

  1. I actually think any moderately authentic medieval setting would come across as very exotic to many rpg players, not just in the clothing. I've been tempted to do a campaign like that, but hesitate because I've got several SCA types and discussions with them always seem to devolve into the most nit picky arguments about period accuracy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tell them (to paraphrase Mystery Science Theater 3000): Repeat to yourself, 'It's just a [game], I should really just relax.'
      I understand the reluctance. I feel the same way when I think about running "hard science fiction" RPGs or historical time travel RPGs. If you suspect or know that you have nit picky players, I think it's best to establish from the start that you are not running an historical simulation and that deviations are acceptable and to be expected.

      Delete
  2. I tried to characterise some of the major town NPCs by the colour and cloth and condition of their houppelandes and cotehardies in my last campaign and it *really* didn't work for the players, even when I started using images of models from modern reenactor-tailors.

    ReplyDelete