31 March 2012

Armor Classes Revised Chart

This is my revised armor chart for Basic/Expert D&D and Labyrinth Lord. It isn't anything revolutionary. Sometimes I nitpick. This is one of those times. For example, I don't like to see the word "mail" attached to a form of armor unless it really involves chain mail. "Mail" and "chain mail" are synonymous (the latter being redundant). The article "Demystifying Chain Mail and Ring Mail" by Dan Howard explains my reasons for excluding certain types of armor mentioned in AD&D, i.e. ring mail and banded mail.

[Edit: I changed this chart on 4 May 2014.]

ARMOR CLASSES
Type of ArmorArmor Class
Unarmored9
Padded8
Leather7
Scale6
Mail5
Splint & Mail4
Plate & Mail3
(Shields improve armor class by 1.)

Lamellar and laminar armor vary in armor class depending on the material used. If metal, the armor class is 4, otherwise it is 6.

No comments:

Post a Comment